Director of Digital Strategies
Freedom for All Americans is the bipartisan campaign to secure full nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people nationwide. Freedom for All Americans includes two separate entities – Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund, collectively referred to as Freedom for All Americans (FFAA). Our work brings together conservatives and progressives, businesses large and small, people of faith, and allies from all walks of life to make the case for comprehensive non-discrimination protections that ensure everyone is treated fairly and equally.
With the ultimate goal of securing nationwide nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ Americans, Freedom for All Americans works at the federal, state, and local level to grow public support for comprehensive and inclusive nondiscrimination protections, protect more people from discrimination, and build the team of advocates and influencers advocating for nondiscrimination protections. Founded in 2015, FFAA is headquartered in Washington, DC with most staff working virtually across the country.
Freedom for All Americans is seeking to hire a Director of Digital Strategies to start in August of 2019.
The Director of Digital Strategies will lead the organization’s dynamic digital work to advance nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people nationwide. This position will work closely with FFAA’s program, campaign, and development teams to develop a comprehensive and strategic digital plan to help meet FFAA’s strategic goals and ensure that the plan is effectively implemented and adapted as organizational needs evolve.
Successful candidates will be committed to advancing LGBTQ equality and have expertise in developing innovative digital engagement strategies across all platforms.
The Director of Digital Strategies will be responsible for creating and implementing digital plans and campaigns that help move the organization toward its goal of securing nationwide nondiscrimination protections for all LGBTQ people by 2025. This work will include informing more Americans about the realities of nondiscrimination and engaging key audiences.
The Director of Digital Strategies will work with members of the Public Affairs team to launch and grow proactive digital initiatives that advance our cause, while also creatively and effectively capitalizing on rapid response moments. This position will be responsible for growing FFAA’s digital footprint, engagement, and impact using current and emerging best practices.
This position oversees a team of 6 people implementing digital strategies within the Public Affairs department. The Director of Digital Strategies will report to the Chief Communications Officer and will interface closely with the entire Public Affairs team, as well as other program and development staff.
People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender diverse people, women, and people of all political backgrounds are encouraged
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
Reports to: Chief Communications Officer
Supervises: Up to 6 staff members
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that FFAA integrates current and emerging digital best practices to keep our digital platforms, content, and footprint fresh, innovative, and impactful.
- Develop creative and effective digital strategies and plans to support organizational and program goals. Participate in and oversee effective implementation.
- Grow the number of FFAA’s digital supporters and increase engagement by designing and executing campaigns that leverage social media, video, email, and other digital tactics.
- Develop and lead the digital components of FFAA’s overall public affairs strategies, including managing and growing an email list, social media, website development and content, and cohesive digital branding aimed at driving the national narrative for nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ Americans.
- Work effectively across departments to ensure that digital strategies and plans align with organizational needs with an eye toward strategy and impact.
- Leverage a sizeable online advertising budget to increase reach and engagement across email and social media, with the ultimate purpose of making the case for nationwide nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people.
- Oversee a national online fundraising strategy in coordination with the VP of Develpment that aims to cultivate small dollar, grassroots donors.
- Lead efforts to better track and analyze how FFAA supporters engage with our content and implement creative strategies that engage both our base and target audiences.
- Supervise a team in the Public Affairs Department focused on digital engagement in meeting their performance goals, and work with Chief Communications Officer to ensure seamless integration of public affairs priorities and strategies across digital platforms.
- Oversee the team leading digital programs for all top priority campaigns, including overall digital strategy, list growth, social media, email and paid online advertising.
- Ensure audience and message discipline in all social media posts.
- Inform budgeting for digital assets and activity.
- Ensure security of all digital platforms.
Our ideal candidate will...
- Be deeply committed to advancing LGBTQ equality and nondiscrimination protections.
- Have a combination of 7-10 years of digital strategy experience in nonprofit, public education, advocacy and/or campaigns and LGBTQ movement work.
- Have expertise in leveraging digital strategies and tools to advance advocacy/campaign goals.
- Possess experience with metrics tracking and analysis to increase audience engagement across digital platforms and email lists.
- Have expertise in executing national fundraising and email list growth efforts.
- Have expertise with all social media platforms, digital advertising, CRMs, and front-end website oversight in a nonprofit, advocacy, or campaign context.
- Bring a commitment to innovation and expertise in implementing digital programs are that utilize current and emerging best practices.
- Understand the importance of message discipline and how to integrate overall communications strategies across multiple digital channels.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, including prioritizing appropriately and tracking and reporting progress internally and to funders.
- Be able to effectively manage a large remote team.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be committed to bipartisan strategies that engage decisionmakers and influencers on both sides of the political spectrum.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, campaign environment.
- Adapt to a quickly changing landscape.
- Be detail oriented.
- Simultaneously work independently and collaboratively in a team-based remote environment with minimal supervision.
- Be able to travel frequently and work remotely.
This is a remote position that can be based anywhere in the United States, but candidates based in Washington, DC or NYC are preferred. Candidates must be able to work from home and feel comfortable frequently engaging with colleagues and partners by phone, video conference, email, and other digital communications tools.
FFAA will provide all of the tools necessary to succeed in this position.
This position requires significant travel, including at least 2 staff retreats, ad hoc organizational meetings, movement gatherings, and more.
Salary and title (director or senior director) is commensurate with experience. [$75,000 - $90,000] or [$80,000 - $99,000]
FFAA provides a competitive benefits package, including:
- health care
- 401K match
- long and short term disability
- paid sick leave
- a generous vacation package including many paid holidays